asset id:
content id:
page Num:
num Pages:
per Row:
num Row:


The Tzeachten First Nation has contracted with the British Columbia Assessment Authority (BCAA) to assess properties on reserve. BCAA uses the guidelines as set out in the Tzeachten First Nation Property Assessment Law. BCAA applies same valuation practices procedures as are applied off-reserve.
Properties are assessed at actual value as of July 1 of the year during which the assessment roll is completed. The value is determined considering the physical condition and permitted use of the property on October 31 (December 31 for manufactured homes).

When will I received my assessment notice?
BCAA will mail your notice to you on or before December 31st.

Can I appeal my assessment?
Yes. You will find details on how to appeal your assessment on the back of your assessment notice. Appeals must be received at BCAA by January 31 of the year following the year in which the assessment roll is completed. Remember, you can only appeal your property assessment, not your property taxes.


Who sets the tax rate?
Tzeachten First Nation has jurisdiction under FSMA to levy taxes and therefore has the sole authority to set tax rates. However, Tzeachten First Nation has historically adopted the Mill Rates set annually by the City of Chilliwack

When are my taxes due?
Your property tax payment is due on or before July 2nd. The taxation period is from January to December.

Taxes can be paid in person at the Tzeachten Community Center or by mail. We accept Cheque, Cash or Debit. We also do monthly installment pre-payment plan (direct debit.) We do not accept any Credit Cards at this time.

Penalties and Interest
A 10% penalty will be charged on gross taxes outstanding at close of business on the due date in the year in which taxes are due. Delinquent tax will bear interest at 1.25% monthly.

What about Home Owner Grants?
The guidelines for qualification are in accordance to the Provincial Home Owner Grant Program and are outlined on the reverse of your taxation notice.

Remember to sign your grant application.

Complete, sign and return the home owner grant application on the back of your tax notice, along with your payment to the Tzeachten First Nation Taxation office by the due date on your current year tax notice.

Do I qualify for a Tax Deferral?
Unfortunately no. The Tax Deferral Program is a Provincial program that does not apply on Reserve. At this time there is no equivalent program offered by Tzeachten First Nation.

My mortgage company pays my taxes. Can I still get the grant?
If your mortgage company pays your property taxes on your behalf you may still qualify for the grant. However, it is still your responsibility to:

In order to avoid a duplicate payment or late payment penalty, confirm whom -you or your mortgage company - will be paying your taxes.

Please note: financial institutions cannot approve your home owner grant application.

What If I Move Onto The Reserve In The Middle Of A Tax Year?
Review your "Purchaser’s Statement of Adjustments" received from your lawyer at closing of Sale. Depending on the time of year your share of taxes will be allocated proportionately between Purchaser and Seller. Ultimately, the current owner is responsible to pay all taxes.

What If I Don't Receive A Tax Notice?
It is the responsibility of all registered owners to pay taxes whether they receive a notice or not. Tax notices are sent out the first week of June. If a notice is not received, contact the Tzeachten First Nation Taxation office for a copy of your notice.